The Joneses from Georgia

The Joneses from Georgia
Christmas, 2009

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Top 10 causes of death in America

For the first time in my life, I experienced the real possibility of a life and death situation.  Since I'm still driving a mini van, my wheels would have ended in the picture of the mini van above, with my youngest child just turning 16.  I would have missed out on the next four wheels of life, although I can't say that I'm looking forward to that last ride if it is going to be in a wheelchair. But I am willing to accept it if it means I get to experience all the other productive years before then.   

I am a sucker for a statistic, so I had to look up the fatality rate for accidental deaths.  I was surprised to see that accidents are the 5th leading cause of deaths!  OK...so it wasn't exactly outside the realm of possibility that I really could have died!!

Here are the top 10 causes of death in America (from 2006) from the Centers for Disease Control:   
  1. Heart disease
  2. Cancer
  3. Stroke
  4. Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases
  5. Accidents (or unintentional injuries)
  6. Diabetes
  7. Alzheimer's Disease
  8. Flu and Pneumonia
  9. Nephritis, Nephrotic Syndrome, and Nephrosis  (kidney diseases and illnesses)
  10. Septecemia  (bacterial infections usually associated with severe diseases)
This list explains why our government has taken the outbreak of swine flu so seriously. I do not have problems with my heart or high blood pressure; and as far as I know, I do not have any kinds of cancer (knock on wood).  I have never smoked and do not live or work in areas that would cause me to have higher risks of respiratory problems including pneumonia.  I have no signs of diabetes, kidney issues, or any other diseases that would interfere in my ability to maintain good health.  Dying from an accident was probably the only area that made sense if I were to die right now at age 50.

Reducing risk factors will help you enjoy a long and productive life!  

We hear these messages all the time now.  Don't smoke, don't drink to excess, don't abuse drugs, exercise, and eat right.  There are reasons why we are constantly barraged with these health tips.  It prevents not only early deaths, but healthy choices allow us to live without chronic sicknesses and diseases that we can control when we finally reach those glorious senior adult years. 

I hope this "Top Ten" list will help you consider your current lifestyle choices.  Take care of yourself so that you can enjoy your life to the very end!!  You only get this wonderful gift called life once!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to read my posts!! I would love for you to share your thoughts, too. Check back frequently to hear more from the Joneses from Georgia!